These days everyone claims to be a growing expert, but are they really? More importantly, are they lighting experts? At Dimlux we are disappointed with the amount of incorrect and inaccurate information that is circulated around the industry.
Recently the Dimlux Expert 1000W DE was compared with a Luxx fixture in a multi-point test on the luxxlighting.eu website. We were astonished when we read the test findings, and had many questions to ask:
- Why did you compare fixtures with different optical properties at the same height?
- Why are there only 17 measuring points?
- Why was the Philips Greenpower Extra lamp replaced for a Luxx lamp?
- Why was Dimlux tested at 5 feet height and the others at 4 feet height?
- What was the reason for these differing heights in a grow tent?
- Why was our Dimlux manual not consulted to find out the ideal minimum height?
- How was the test executed? Was it in a tent or in open space?
- Which Quantum Sensor was used? Was it calibrated?
- Was the Dimlux reflector set in the deep or wide position?
There were too many uncertainties and unknown variables for us to take the results of this test seriously. Because of this we performed the multi-point test again ourselves using the correct testing conditions to gain a much more accurate result. Parameters of the tests were:
- 49 measuring points (7×7)
- Heights: 60cm, 90cm, and 150cm at 1000w and maximum boost
- Coefficient of Variation = light spread.
Attention Tent Growers!! Measurement at 150cm (5 feet) is not representative for a normal height to the crop in a 120cm by 120cm (4 by 4 feet) tent.
The minimum ideal height for a Dimlux is 60cm (2 feet) for this kind of tent. However, the Coefficient of Variation with Luxx at this height is completely undesirable. At a height of 90cm this number is acceptable for the Luxx. BUT, when both fixtures are set at their ideal minimum height, Dimlux has a 51% higher PPFD output at 1000W.
Dimlux fixtures offer the highest levels of efficiency and output available on the market. If a competitor has any doubts we are willing to have side by side tests performed at an independent laboratory under strict conditions. The loser of these tests would then need to publish the results in the media. Don’t be misled and believe everything you read!
Here you can read our test results; Don’t be misled test explanation